Leader In Training Program Information
LEADER IN TRAINING PROGRAM 2021
Requirements for the LIT Program
- Must be between sophomore and junior year of high school.
- Must be able to attend four sessions (5-8) consecutively from July 25th to August 20th. These dates are NOT flexible and applicants must be available for the entire four week program. First Check-in at 9:00am on Sunday July 25th.
- The fee for the LIT program is $1,878 total ($239 of this fee is non-refundable). This includes First Aid and CPR training (TBD because of COVID), LIT t-shirt and an LIT group photo.
- Must be prepared to be a role model to both campers and peers while learning leadership skills.
Details of the LIT Program
- Learn by doing in a safe environment.
- Participants are assigned to a counselor and cabin of campers for the purpose of “shadowing” during meals, free time, coffee breaks and evening activities with the possibility of overnight stays in a cabin based on performance and evaluations. This time provides the opportunity to develop leadership skills while learning the character traits of different age groups.
- Half of the day spent in the camp program according to a participants rank(s) at Rawhide.
- The other part of the day spent assisting/teaching Rawhide’s classes/electives to campers.
- Time is also designated for LIT class learning leadership skills.
- Participation in the weekly Horse Show permitted.
- Promote and maintain the recycling program.
- Evaluations are done so participants can learn their strengths while setting tangible goals for growth opportunities.
- Time off provided every Friday evening approximately 6:00 p.m. (depending on participant’s show event) to Sunday at 12:30 p.m. Participants are required (unless previous arrangements have been made) to leave the ranch for some needed rest and relaxation due to their busy daily schedule and lack of free time during the week.
Focus of the LIT Program
The LIT classes along with the structure of this program will focus on communication; teamwork; empathy; responsibility; respect; creativity; conflict resolution; and problem solving.
Goal of the LIT Program
Our goal is to have participants emerge from the program having developed leadership skills along with an increased level of confidence so they can apply these skills at school and in their community to make a positive difference.
We encourage all those prepared to take on additional responsibility and the challenges of leadership to download and submit the a
Application and Parent/Guardian reference by April 15th. The process provides excellent preparation for a job and/or the college application process one will encounter later in life.
- Parent/Guardian Reference
- One personal reference, due April 30, from an employer, coach, religious leader and/or mentor. Specifically, references should be people able to speak about your previous care giving responsibilities with children, work ethic, and on behalf of your character. Please note close friends of the family or Rawhide staff are not acceptable for our purposes. The Rawhide staff is given the opportunity to share any recommendations or concerns before any final decisions are made.
- Virtual Interviews to be arranged between mid-April and mid-May.
Applicants will be notified by the end of May of their status in the program after all interviews have been completed. Unfortunately, we have a limited number of spaces in our program so not all who apply are accepted. We are looking for applicants with a strong interest in making a positive difference in the lives of children while contributing to camp and developing their own leadership skills. All those invited to participate should understand the opportunity is a privilege and approach it with a sense of responsibility, enthusiasm, and commitment.
Summer Camp 2021 Applications are due by April 15, 2021.
This deadline cannot be extended.